Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Merry Phisch-Mas!

Merry Phisch-Mas!

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
Does egg nog ice cream count? I get uncharacteristically disgruntled when I drive to Braum’s and they are already out of egg nog ice cream and it’s not even December yet.

2. Does Santa wrap the presents or just sit them under the tree?
Santa just leaves them under the tree or in front of the tree

3. Colored or white lights?
White lights. Only. No colors.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
Nope. Who am I going to kiss? Daisy? I don’t need mistletoe to smooch on her.

5. When do you put your decorations up?
Whenever I get around to it. This year it was just about December. But, growing up, it was sometimes pushed back to the week of Christmas. That’s what you get when you grow up with two parents in retail.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish?
I don’t really like holiday-ish foods. I don’t even really like turkey. But the holidays do give me an excuse to make these bacon wrapped green bean things that are to.die.for.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child?
The year Santa didn’t come. We were in a rent house, and the tree went up front and the fire place was in the back of the house, and Santa put the goodies by the fireplace. My sister (who was about 4) came down the stairs, saw the empty tree, freaked, and ran back upstairs. (We had also opened presents on Christmas Eve, much to my chagrin, and so the tree was seriously bare). I was 15 at the time, and much the smartass I am today, so when she came back upstairs wailing at me, I simply said “guess you weren’t good enough for Santa this year.” Yeah, I got smacked for that one. But it’s still the funniest holiday memory!

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
What do you mean the truth about Santa? That he comes every year and brings presents to good children. Well, that I’ve known as long as I can remember.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
Not anymore. One year, we opened all the presents on Christmas Eve (see #7 above), and I got things like Nintendo games when I didn’t have a Nintendo. Kinda ruins the magic.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?
This year I started by buying the trees. Yes. Plural. I will accumulate many over the years and decorate each one for different rooms of the house. This year, I put the trees up and my cousins came over and decorated them. The front third of both trees looks beautiful!

11. Snow: Love it or hate it?
Love it. It just brings a peace and beauty about it. Also, since I’m an early riser, Daisy is usually the first dog out to frolic in it, so it is extra magical to get the little black and white dog bouncing around in it.

12. Can you ice skate?
Not as well as I think I can. I can skate around and go backwards, and then I decide I can do loops like Nancy Kerrigan and end up dislocating my knee and screaming like Nancy Kerrigan (my knee!!! Sob sob)

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
Not really. I’ve had some pretty spiffy gifts, though.

14. What’s the most important thing about the holidays for you?
Almost every year God opens up a new aspect to the Christmas story for me, so that every year it’s exciting and different and applicable to me. Sometimes, it’s about anticipation, sometimes it’s about Mary’s obedience, Joseph’s view, etc. This year, I’m kinda getting with the Word becoming flesh. I don’t know. More will be revealed as the time comes closer.

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert?
Did I mention egg nog ice cream? Oh, and chocolate-covered cherries. Drool is produced upon thinking of it.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Until last year, it was going to midnight candlelight service at a church that my friend’s husband pastored. It was so very different from my own Baptist experience, and driving home alone in the cold weather in the early hours of Christmas morning was magical. Now, I’m kinda into making new traditions. Just haven’t started yet.

17. What is on top of your tree?
This white pressed-tin star that is beautiful but is too heavy for the top of the tree so it’s sort-of leaning over. It’s pretty funny!

18. Which do you like best giving or receiving?
Giving. I love finding just the perfect gift. I love putting thought into special items for each person.

19. What is your favorite Christmas song?
The Drifters’ “White Christmas.” Every year, when it comes on the classroom CD, I grab my hairbrush and sing along to it for the kids. (Think Home Alone)

20. Do you like candy canes?
About the only pepperminty thing I like. But they’re very sticky, and I’m a very messy girl.

21. What is your favorite Christmas movie?
Hands down “A Christmas Story,” with “Christmas Vacation” and now “Elf” coming a close second. I just love the quotable-ness of Elf, but Christmas Vacation is a staple of our holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin