Friday, March 26, 2010

I need a cherry lime slushie. Stat.

Today is Friday, which means reading buddies day. My fourth graders have a kindergartener that they are paired up with and they are almost all smitten with each other. It's the highlight of my week watching these two groups of kids interact.

Today, I wanted to give my kids and their buddies something fun to do, and it piggy-backed on our measurement lesson. And, we've been talking about the metric and customary units of measurement as well, so I found something that would work well.

I made ice cream in a bag.
With fourth graders.
And kindergarteners.
And the metric system.

I. am. an. idiot.

I decided to double the recipe and then changed my mind five minutes later. I ran out of vanilla, and as I was tasting a few of the final products I discovered exactly where that vanilla went. In the end, everyone had a tremendous amount of fun, and my classroom looked like a tornado of dairy had blown through it. And it pretty much had.

But all is okay. The local radio station plays a block of songs on Friday afternoons and today's block was by Steve Miller Band. Then, I came home and turned on the telly and found The Man From Snowy River had just started and now my Friday evening is complete.

1 comment:

  1. you're just trying to make uncle mike proud aren't you??/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin