Saturday, September 17, 2011

What is it? An alien or a minotaur? Not a question I thought I'd be asking myself when I woke upthis morning.

(I really should think twice before watching Doctor Who right before going to bed.)

First, before I embark on an amusing story entitled Capitals With Sister, I should fess up about what kind of looney life I seem to be leading when I don't get the optimum amount of sleep.

Exhibit A: Friday morning.
Well, Thursday evening. I met up with some girlfriends, and stayed out way past my bedtime. It wasn't my fault, you know. But I got about two hours less sleep than I typically do, and that always has drastic results. Like Friday morning, when I decided that I deserved a cup of Starbucks to make up for the 2 hours less sleep that I got.

While pulling out of the Starbucks, I glanced in the rear view mirror and noticed that I had forgotten to put mascara on. I started reflecting on what had transpired this morning that led to the forgetting of the mascara, and I realized that I didn't put a stitch of make up on. I walked out of the house without any makeup. At all.

Luckily, there is a Kroger between the Starbucks and the school, so I went and bought the bare necessities of make up and took care of business. Once I got to school and changed shirts as well. Friday morning was quite a bit of crazy.

Friday evening, on the other hand, was more fun than you can shake a stick at, and you can shake a stick at a lot of things. The Sister had nothing to do, so she rallied the fam, and convinced them to go out to dinner. We hit the local Red Robin (yummmm) and discussed the rainstorm, the recent selling out of Missoni products at Target, and then college football. We noticed on the television that Boise State was beating up on Toledo. Which led to the following conversations:
Sister: Toledo is the capital of Ohio.
Dad: You sure about that?
S: Yes. I know this. I was talking to so-and-so about capitals. It's Toledo
D: I thought it was Columbus. J- what do you think?
(Looking it up on Phone with lower case i).Me: It's Columbus.
S: Oh. 
This led to a full-on discussion of capitals and much looking up of information on The Google.
S: Well, I know the capital of North Dakota. It's Bismark.
Me: You're right. Most people think it's Fargo, but it's not.
S: I was right. Ooh! I also know the capital of West Virginia.
D: West Virginia? That one's hard.
S: Oh no. Wait. I meant the regular Virginia. 
In the interest of fairness, The Dad thought he knew the capital of West Virginia (not the regular Virginia), but was sorely mistaken. It's not Wheeling. It's Charleston. I thought that was it, but I wasn't 100% sure, so I kept my mouth shut. By this point, we were having so much fun, because she just.kept.trying.
S: And Florida... the capital is Jacksonville
M: Nope.
S: (*under breath* Damnit.) Tallahassee?
M: Correct
There were many more, but then we went to general history, and discussed how the Pilgrims did not land at Jamestown, nor did they come over on the Nina, the Pinta, or the Santa Maria. And Columbus sailed the ocean blue in 1492 as opposed to 1892.

That Sister. She's a fount of knowledge.

1 comment:

  1. sorry. it was the fault of the fuzzy driver. and ten days at home with no other adult. i got my crazy rant out though. i owe you two hours of sleep. you're on your own for the mascara.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin