Wednesday, January 24, 2007

I Have Snost and Lost

I'm always exploring new music that's not new. I love to find songs here and there that no one has heard of. I love to find artists mentioned somewhere and then go and explore their music. Music is to be explored. I like to find an artist that I like that few people or no one has heard of. My latest find is Mike Doughty. His song "I Hear the Bells" is very good, and quite possibly a new favorite. I first heard a song of his on Grey's Anatomy. I investigated a little, and I've liked what I've discovered.

Right now, though, I'm a little into cover songs. My very favorite song of all time is a cover of my second-favorite song of all time. I have no idea who Jeffrey Gaines is, but his cover of Peter Gabriel's song "In Your Eyes" is phenomenal. He also has an amazing cover of "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face." Wow, it's good.

One of my favoritest bands EVER, Nickel Creek, does covers. I've seen them twice, and both times, they did three cover songs. I think each member of the band picks a cover song, and they do it. They are excellent musicians, and their cover songs are at times better than the original. At the first concert of theirs, which was at a river-fest-type thing (which is how good live music should be experienced), they did a cover of Coldplay's "Yellow" and the Beatles' "Taxman." The last time I saw them at Gypsy Tea Room, they did a cover of a Radiohead song and...Britney Spears' "Toxic", which is the song that was stuck in my head for the rest of the night.

My newest discovery, that I'm absolutely loving: Mike Doughty has done a cover of "The Gambler." I found it on iTunes and downloaded immediately. It's pretty awesome.

On the musical note, here's my playlist of recent:
* Fidelity by Regina Spektor (although it's now showing up on many an ABC melodrama, so I'm a little disappointed)
* Fool in the Rain by O.A.R. (a cover of the Led Zeppelin song)
* Flowers in the Window by Travis
* The Gambler by Mike Doughty
* I Hear the Bells by Mike Doughty
* Want To by Sugarland
* Boston by Augustana
* Into the Ocean by Blue October
* Into Your Arms by the Lemonheads
* Keep Holding On by Avril Lavigne

I'll probably do a lovey dovey girly Valentine's Day mix...just to keep myself company.

3 comments:

  1. Well there's nothing like checking out new stuff all the time...there are so many new things to be discovered...and finding them out is always an adventure....well hey since you're looking out for new stuff then also do visit my blog sometime and check out the stuff i've posted there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the greatest cover songs I've ever heard is the Pretenders playing the Ramones song "Something to Believe In." One of the few songs I've ever heard better than the original, with the possible exception of The Lemonheads doing "Mrs. Robinson."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to check out that song...I love the Pretenders. And I'd forgotten about the Lemonheads song. iTunes, here I come...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin