Saturday, May 26, 2007

The Thing About Teenagers (And, More About Pirates)

On the last day of school, my freshman sophomore girls wanted to go to the midnight showing of Pirates of the Caribbean at World's End. It opened on Friday, so they wanted to go to the midnight showing, which actually started at 11:05, or so the theater said. I took them to the Studio Movie Grill, because they wanted to go, and apparently, that's the only place I'm to see movies now.

Having worked at school until 8:30, I needed Starbucks to become a functioning human being again, and after I picked the girls up and we hit the drive-thru on Main, we made it to the Grill at around 10ish. We were able to go right in, and after heated discussion about where to sit, and the paper-covers-rock-decision made, we sat our happy little selves down in a row. There was a group behind us that was comprised of young girls, young boys, and two adults that were apparently in charge. The whole gathering just screamed 'youth group' much like our little clique of three freshman sophomore girls and two adults did.

As is the common case with teenagers, conversations are automatically up for grabs, and we quickly found ourselves all talking together, as if we were friends and came there together. One of the boys tried to teach us how to whistle, and we all got into a discussion about passing notes on tithe envelopes and how three is not in fact an unlucky number (the Trinity...duh!). By the end of it, we were all playing Shrek Operation, and comiserating together over whether the movie was ever going to start.

There is the popular C.S. Lewis quote that says “Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one” That quote is not always true of adults, but I can tell you it is true of teenagers. As the movie did start, I thought about whether or not all of this would have happened if teenagers weren't present. Probably not.

And the Pirate movie. Dumb. Confusing. Violent (okay, I knew it would be). Over it.

2 comments:

  1. It's a shame that adults don't view church as a "youth group" and act accordingly regarding community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a shame that we "grow out of it." Why can't we be a "youth group" of 30-year olds, because I was totally like that in high school, which is why I fell so easily back into it Thursday night.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin