Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I Am Looking For a Dare to Be Great Situation

"Okay, how ya doing? I'm Lloyd, and we're gonna watch the movie "Coccoon." I've never actually seen it, but I heard its very good, it makes you happy. Its about a group of people who go to outer space... hope I didnt give anything away there. "

That is how I felt last night, as I went to a local assisted living facility to play BINGO with the residents. There were three of us volunteer girls, and about six elder adults playing the game with us. It was your standard fun evening. One man kept having a hard time hearing the letters and numbers being called, and the other women at the table were yelling at him. It was a sweet little community.

That is, until one of the women stole the candy from another, who was obviously oblivious to the theft. The girls and I looked at each other with wide eyes and silent laughter...what exactly is the protocol for an octogenarian theif? Do we pat her down? Frisk her for the chocolate? Um...pretend we don't know anything?

We opted for the latter, and I executed a skilled switcharoo maneuver as I bent down to help her pick up the dropped bingo markers and "found" the chocolate that she had dropped and won. You had to be there, but it was pretty funny.

I need to spend more time at that place. And maybe show them a video or two.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin