Tuesday, June 03, 2008

My Little Boys

I get to keep my little boys this week. One of last year's princes and his brother. From almost day one this prince stole my heart and hasn't given it back. I watched him grow all last year, and he is the only boy who still hugs me and gets genuinely excited to see me. His mom and dad are in Mexico on a business trip, so I get to come over and be their mom for the next three days.

I relish this task. It's the third time I've done it, and I love every minute of it every time. Because I'm not a mom, but that is my true calling in life, and I get to be a little part of it when I sit for kids. I don't have kids, but God does at times give me the joy of saying "Boys, get ready for baseball practice!" and "Let me check your school folder" and "Leave your brother alone!" It is a joy in my heart when I get to do that with these little ones.

And this neighborhood I teach in, for all its faults, is beautiful. Every house has school-aged kids, and they play together and fight together and live together. Since we got home, the boys have been outside almost the whole time. With all sorts of kids. And everytime I keep kids in this neighborhood, they always play together. And moms come to the door saying "is so and so over here?" and then they go to the next house.

I'm right where I want to be when I grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin