Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Not So Bad After All

Okay, so I was pretty bound and determined not to like fourth grade more than second grade. I wasn't gonna and you couldn't make me.

Well, as in anything, I am proven spectacularly wrong. And actually, I don't necessarily think I like fourth grade more than second grade, just differently. There are still some things that don't change. Like boys falling out of chairs. Apparently, by fourth grade they still haven't learned how to sit in a chair without falling out of it.

But there are some pretty cool things about fourth graders. This week, we're reading a biography of Lou Gehrig, and I was able to find the movie clip from the Pride of the Yankees, and I played them his farewell speech at Yankee Stadium, as given by Gary Cooper. The kids were in awe, and you could hear a pin drop, and it was magical.

And, the humor is still there. Take, for example, this exchange:
me: "Student1, hush"
Student 1 (to those around him): "How did she know it was me?!"
Student 2 (across from him): "Because she's not retarded."

Fourth Grade's not so bad after all.

1 comment:

  1. Love the quote at the end! I can so hear your voice when I read your posts, It's hysterical. As far as Pride of the Yankees goes, BEST MOVIE EVER!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin