Saturday, June 27, 2009

I saw her today at the reception…

Rolling Stone lyric.

Except I didn’t see her today a the reception.

But first…who was that crazy girl that fell down just before the reception? Oh yeah. It was me.

So, I went to the ceremony, and it was beautiful. Very low-key but nicely done. I was proud of my friend, except for one little thing. Once again, the recessional song was a happy, upbeat song, “Walking on Sunshine”, and all the wedding participants solemnly proceeded calmly and orderly back down the aisle. I was be-bopping away in my back row.

Side note…People, when I get married, it’s gonna be a PARTY ya’ll. There will be dancing in the aisles, regardless of the fact that we are Baptists. Not one moment will be boring. There will be laughter and smiles and silliness and celebration. It will be a P.A.R.T.Y. Just lettin ya know ahead of time.

Back to the wedding at hand. The pastor pronounced them man and wife, they solemnly proceeded back down the aisle, and we were to head to the reception while they took pictures. This is where I had an issue. See, I was wearing my new espadrilles (Thanks PandaMom for the tip and the word), and they were a smidge taller than my usual heels. And we all know about my weak ankles.

So, wedding’s over and I’m following the crowd to the mess hall, and my ankle rolls and I start to fall, right there in the preschool hallway. It was very dainty. I managed to stop myself, but not after throwing my arms out to catch myself and look all sorts of ladylike. My friend behind me said “I would have caught you…”

We got to the reception, which was lovely, and had the yummies and punch while we waited for the bride and groom to make their grand entrance. And we waited. And we waited some more. Then some more. Then a few minutes more. Then some more after that.

After an hour and ten minutes, I bailed on the whole thing. I had another place to be at 6, and I couldn’t wait any longer. And, to be honest, I was bored.

One thing that did bother me was one-no, two- of the other guests. One was a teenager that used to be in my growth group, who asked me “So, Jen, when’s it your turn? When are you gonna find a husband?” I' excused it because she was only 17, but otherwise, she might have had an espadrille up her nose or her…other.

The other guest was someone who used to be a part of our group before she went off and got married and had a baby. Which is fine, except she knew fewer people than I did at the reception. So she came over to catch up, but what she didn’t count on was that nothing has changed in my life since I moved here to Texas 8 years. I still teach at the same school. I’m not married. Yes I still go to the same church. End of catch up. Except, she kept standing there trying to make small talk.

Listen, I’m as bored as you are, and I also want to give my best wishes to the happy couple, but it is not my job to entertain you. She stood there for a good while, and I tried, really I tried, but eventually I went back to my own conversation.

And so ends today’s wedding story. Oh, and the bumpit worked perfectly. If I can do it, you can too!

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to see the espadrilles and the hair...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin