Friday, September 25, 2009

Blessing

Today I was reminded of a special kind of relationship that I need desperately, and am beautifully blessed with every day.

See, KC and I teach together. I’ve known from the minute I joined this crazy team I’m on that I wouldn’t teach with anyone else. I could never pinpoint why, until this year, when we started working together. It’s the same reason my BFF is just that: my BFF.

Today I realized a few other people fall into this category. The reason why I love them and they are my favorite people in the universe…

They don’t keep score.

Today, I was having to deal with a ginormous problem as my kids were going to reading buddies. The ginormous problem was one of the kids that I was having to carry to the office kicking and screaming and trying to gain control of a situation. My reading buddy teacher came out into the hallway as I was lifting said child over my shoulders like a sack of potatoes, and simply took my little ones in the classroom with her and took care of business. When I came back, she had a bottle of cold water waiting for me, and all of the children busy learning from each other. It was just what I needed to pull myself together and get my focus back. (And stop the near-hyperventilation that was occurring since I didn’t realize I was so out of shape!)

She’s come to me before for help, which I gladly give. As has KC, and BFF, and a multitude of other people. And I gladly give the help. I don’t expect anything in return. It’s just how I’m wired. The ones that are my true friends, though, are the ones who don’t keep score. The ones that do the exact same thing when I least expect it. The ones that help because they can and don’t ask for anything in return. Between KC and my reading buddy, today was a day abundant with  help-given. It was beautiful.

For some time now, I’ve been reflecting on the fact that my life is filled with rich friendships that I haven’t had in a long time. After the time of the September Stories, I went a long time without close friends. I needed to heal from the trauma of it all, so I came  home to family and left my friendships behind. I assumed I’d just make some more when I got here, but it didn’t happen. For about five years it didn’t happen. And I suffered because of it.

These friends of mine are not selfish or self-centered, and they all know that we’re all on this crazy adventure together, so we do the best we can and help each other out. They know that sometimes I don’t get a moment to call them, so they call me. And they know that I will call them, not just when I need them, but when I sense they need me.

It’s beautiful, this thing we’ve got going… especially on days like today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin