Thursday, September 17, 2009

We the People…

The Preamble to the Constitution of the United States

We the People of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Today is Constitution Day. I remembered it at about 3:40ish yesterday. I have a favorite activity that I got from my other teachers, so I pulled that out and made hasty copies.

Even though we’re in the middle of our science rotation, it’s the rotation that absolutely puts me asleep, so I didn’t mind interrupting for something important like, you know…the Constitution and such. And this activity, it’s so cool that there are flickr groups and google images about it. It’s awesome.

There were no instructions with the activity, so I just had to wing it. The history-lover in me just decided to tell about what makes our Constitution wonderful. I took the Preamble word for word. I explained what each word meant, and what it means for what our forefathers intended for our country.

And then I gave them a bunch of vanity license plates that when put together, spell out the Preamble. But I’m most glad that my kids know even the slightest of where we came from and what our forefathers intended when they wrote it.

Oh, and I found the lesson plans that go with the activity, and my lesson was right on the money.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin