Wednesday, September 08, 2010

It's raining, it's pouring

It's raining. It's pouring, and at 9am this morning, that was a gross understatement.

Gross understatement.

This past weekend, I missed a bit of the news because I was driving to Arkansas and back, so I missed the news that we had some tropical hijinx going on in the Gulf. When I got back, I heard that Tropical Depresseion Tropical Storm Hurricane Tropical Storm Hermine? Hermione? Harry Potter? was headed for Brownsville, and thought... good luck to them. At least we'll get some rain.

Sweet Lord I had no idea what was coming our way.

This morning, they said we'd get rain all day. What they did not say is that Hurricane Harry Potter would take up residence directly over my school.

I didn't even try to dry my hair this morning, because I've had a bad hair day since Sunday, and at least today I had a reason. I get to school rather early, so I didn't have to deal with too much, but the rains came down and the floods came up as the morning progressed.

By morning conference time, both roads into and out of our school were closed, and if it wasn't dried up and opened up by dismissal I was going to call one of the neighborhood moms that I sit for and ask her what she's makin' me for dinner.

Even better, as I was walking my kids to the library, rumor was getting around that the gym was flooded. Curious, I went to check it out. Some water had come in from the outside and was about an inch off the floor in one corner. So, they rerouted the pe classes to another room, and we all went about gawking at the rain.

By lunch, the rain had let up some, but the gym had water coming out the door. This is where the story gets good. So good that, even though I'm meeting the BFF for dinner tomorrow night, I had to call her immediately after school because this story couldn't wait one day to be told.

One of our kindergarten moms saw the puddle outside of the gym door and...

wait for it...
wait for it...
wait for it...

called 9.1.1. and told them the school was taking on water.

Once again, I couldn't make that up. At no point did she think that maybe the office and most of the teachers and a good bit of the students knew that there was water in the gym. At no point did she think 'hey... it's a building, not a ship, so even if it takes on water it won't sink.'

She just called 9.1.1. and then the fire department got to come to my school.

I told you people that the parents at my school were hands down the craziest.
Hands down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin