Wednesday, April 05, 2006

You Can't Always Get What You Want

"Delight Yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart."
-Psalm 37:4

This has been my favorite verse since I moved to Texas almost five years ago. At first glance, you may read it as: enjoy God, and He'll give you what you want. Over these few years, I've come to glean the real meaning behind this verse.

Last night, I got an email from a friend that she's pregnant. I want to have kids. I want kids badly. This friend, she got married last January. She came out to see me in October. She was taking a break from her marriage. Her 10 month old marraige. Being married was nothing like what she imagined. She almost cheated on her husband, but he (the husband) walked in and found her flirtatious emails to another man. She and her husband were in counseling, and she said he'd have to change a lot of things when they got pregnant.

That's where this verse comes in. I've discovered that when I truly delight in the Lord, the desires of my heart become His desires. So, even though I want to get married and want to have children, I want to do it in a way that will glorify God. I know there will be challenges with marraige, but I don't want to go into it knowing that my husband or I will have to change anything when we get married. I don't want to get married for the sake of having a ring on my finger, and having someone there when I get home. I want God's best.

So, lonely as it is, I'll keep delighting in the Lord, and He will give me all the desires of my heart. When He's got him ready for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin