Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Come As You Are

Nirvana sings:
Come as you are... as you were...As I want you to be...as a friend, as an old enemy...Come doused in mud...soaked in bleach

I heard the name of that song a few weeks ago, while I was sitting at my desk at school. I wrote it down on one of my purple notes, and thought of it a few times as I shuffled it across my desk. I knew it had meaning. I just needed it to sit a while.

Today, I heard it in my car...the whole song. I listened to the lyrics. I let it sit a while. I talked to myself about it in the car. For those of you that saw me, yes, I'm crazy...no, not because I'm talking to myself in my car. There are other reasons I'm crazy.

There's an old hymn called "Just As I Am." It goes:
Just as I am and waiting not
To rid my soul of one dark blot,
To Thee, whose blood can cleanse each spot,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am, though tossed about
With many a conflict, many a doubt,
Fightings and fears within, without,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

It's like the reverse of the Nirvana song. We'll never be good enough, and the hymn recognizes that. But the Nirvana song...it's an invitation. God says "Come, As you are...Come."

I'm trying very hard not to overthink this. I'm an over-thinker by nature. I think things to death. Again. It just needs to sit.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not so sure you're over-thinking it...

    ...actually, you might be under-thinking it.

    I've found amazing soulful passion in Nirvana's stuff.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin