Thursday, August 16, 2007

Technology...

I got a DVD player about a zillion years ago. It is a perfectly good DVD player. It even has progressive scan. I have no idea what that means, except that if that switch is flipped, the screen goes all caddy-whompus, and I have to turn it off and flip the switch again.

The real problem is that the DVD player doesn't have a coaxial cable outlet. I sound so tech-savvy, don't I? I even used the word 'coaxial' correctly. So, that presents a problem when setting up said DVD player. It only comes with the yellow, red, and white cables to connect. So, last Wednesday, when I move in, I promptly plug in all the wires in all of the little color-coded spots. They make it easy for people. People meaning not me. Because nothing is easy for me.

So, I plug it in to the spots it's supposed to, and the screen is all caddy-whompus. (yes, this is the technical term). Check that the scan switch is off. Flip the switches around, and I have no audio, and the picture is there, but it's in black and white.

Now, I have not one, but two degrees, from the University of Florida, a very academic university, and this is about the time I am reminding myself of this as I keep thinking "I can do this. I am a Grown Up." At about this time, I notice the S-Video outlets. Hey...there we go. Problem solved. For most people.

I go and get the S-Video cable. And plug it in. And I've got...(wait for it...wait for it...)
NOTHING! Absolutely nothing. No video, no audio. Nothing. Nada. Zip. I figure that at least black and white video is better than no video, so I unplug the S-video cable and plug back in the video cord. Wait! I have color video! I plug in the red and white. Audio! I can watch my DVDs now!!

I don't know how it happened, and I don't care. As I'm writing this and the internet was up and down, I checked my email, and found out my friend's dad died. Perspective. It's all about perspective.

updated to add: another email. friend's cancer back. prognosis is good for recovery, but still. perspective. all about perspective.

2 comments:

  1. Look, you can say it all you want and put it in print and all that...

    ...but those of us that went to schools aligned with the Southeastern Conference, well, unless you went to Vanderbilt, the phrase, "very academic university" doesn't legitimately apply.

    Unless, of course, you're using a comparative scale of ONLY SEC schools, in which case, I'll grant you that little bit of artistic license. However, I'll remind you that it's like being King of the Geeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very correct. In my mind, I was actually adding the phrase (not that I participated in many very academic endeavors). I was a sorority girl, after all.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin