Saturday, November 28, 2009

We are the boys of old Florida. F-L-O-R-I-D-A

College Game Day. It makes my heart happy.
Today, it makes my heart sing.

The opening lines: "Officially, it is called Ben Hill Griffin Stadium at Florida Field. But on fall Saturdays, this place becomes The Swamp, the habitat of 89,000 gators."

There is orange and blue everywhere. In the background, over the microphoned voices of Chris, Lee, Desmond, and Kirk is the shout of "IT'S GREAT. TO BE. A FLORIDA GATOR." Over that, you can hear "ORANGE" and "BLUE". And it is beautiful.

They showed a big gator in Lake Alice. In my mind, I can tell you exactly how to get there from the front door of my dorm room, from the front door of the sorority house, and from the front door of my apartment.

Urban Meyer is getting choked up while talking about Tim Tebow and I may just have to cry like a baby right here.

Tim Tebow just looked directly into the camera and said "I'm Tim Tebow, welcome to The Swamp." I may have squealed with delight, startled the dog, and knocked something off the couch.

I will be unavailable from roughly 2:00 - 6:30. Just letting you know. I'll be getting the rest of the decorations up and the cleaning done, and watching my beloved Gators. I'm going to try not to tear up too much, but I make no promises.

At the end of the 3rd quarter, Daisy and I will be singing:

We are the boys from old Florida
F-L-O-R-I-D-A
Where the girls are the fairest,
The boys are the squarest
Of any old state down our way

We are all strong for old Florida
Down where the old gators play
In all kinds of weather
We'll all stick together
for F-L-O-R-I-D-A

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin