Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Deconstructing Juliet

Last night, I went to see Letters to Juliet.

I debated even going, and didn't decide to go until the last minute. It's a romantic comedy. With romance. And people in love. And kissing. And the happy ending. And that song by Taylor Swift. Things I don't have.

My typical policy about things of a romantic nature is simple avoidance. Why go to the bakery if you can't eat the cake?

But I haven't been to the movies since February. And I had a gift card. And I resolved to spend more time cultivating female friendships. So I went.

I tried to be on my best behavior, and I tried to refrain from snarky comments, though at one point I did look at my friend next to me and said "Okay, now I'm really going to have to throw up a little bit in my mouth."

This was an okay movie at best. I knew what I was getting into and didn't expect it to be an Oscar winner, and it had some really funny moments. But it had the same traps that every romantic comedy had that are just not realistic in the slightest:
(slight spoilers ahead: I use the term 'slight' because it's so formulaic, it's not like you can't see it coming)

- The lead character is engaged to be married, but the guy she's engaged to is too wrapped up in his own life to pay enough attention to her and so she's left alone and disillusioned by love... If he doesn't pay enough attention to you and abandons you on your vacation, ditch the jerk. By the time she did, it was way too easy. Real life breakups with your fiance do not end with an amicable hug.

- The male romantic lead starts off being rude to her, which makes her want to quip back and "show him." **In real life, when someone starts off being that rude to you, you don't fall in love with them. You look at them and say "You're an ass. Go to hell." And then you go on your merry way.

- There was one moment that I did have to genuinely laugh at, because the male lead took the words right out of my mouth. He comes running after her (because you have to chase down the one you love in the movies), and finds her on a balcony. He says "Of course you'd be on a balcony." Couldn't have said it better myself.

Regardless of all of this, I did end up crying during the movie.
When he ran after her. Because no one has run after me, and I don't know that anyone ever will
When he says something about love never taking too long. Because sweet Jesus it's taken forever for me.
When he passionately kisses her. Because it's been a long time since that went down where the wild and precious things are.

Why did I go the bakery? I can't eat the cake...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin