Friday, May 28, 2010

Someone get me to a day spa. Stat.

Ya'll. Let's talk about today.

First of all, when it is 6:30 am and you are curled up on your couch eating your Lucky Charms, and you hear a slight knock at the door, several things go through your mind. Was that really a knock? Who could be knocking at this hour of the morning? Is it the police? Has someone died? Could someone be trying to sell me something on their way to work?

And more importantly: Are they really after me Lucky Charms?

Not once do you think: Hey, wonder if it's just my neighbor and he's locked out of his apartment? Which is actually about the only reason that you will have someone knock on your door that early in the morning. The very nice man that lives across the 'hall' from me was cleaning his car (at 6:30 in the morning who does that?!) and locked his keys in his trunk. I lent him my cell to call the complex and he got that sorted out. Only after he left did I realize I was in my pajamas and while I wear pants to bed, my top was not exactly fit to be seen in public.

And that was only at 6:30. I finished getting ready for work, which was much different than any other day getting ready, and headed out the door at 7am. I knew I was dressed visibly different when the custodian at school took one look at me and said "Why do you look like that?"

See, this typically-dress-wearing teacher was about to embark on an outdoor adventure. On a day that was supposed to be sunny and hotter than Satan's birthday. Oh, and slightly humid as well. Humidity + Heat + Hiking in the woods all the live-long day = the perfect storm of hell. So she had on a cammo hat, with hair in braided pigtails to deter ticks that might want to come home and live with me. I was wearing my favorite cargo pants because there was absolutely no flipping way I was wearing jeans on a day like this. I was wearing a tank top and a gauzy tee over it. I wasn't about to be hotter than I had to be today as I went trapsing through the woods.

Our school district has an outdoor activity area where the teachers lead the kids on hikes and do activities with them. Yes, not only was I forced to be out in the heat all day, I had to teach as well.

Ya'll. Seriously. What about me says that I can navigate myself and 18 fourth graders through the woods without getting lost?

Yesterday, before leaving, I gave the laundry list of things my children will do no matter what to get ready for today, and apparently I was so convincing about what we were heading into that one kiddo and her mom came to see me after school to ask permission not to go. I wasn't playing games. I've done enough camps outside in the heat in Witchita Falls, Texas, where every day is as hot as Satan's birthday, to know just how quickly and just how easly kids can get dehydrated.

It should be also noted that I did not have one.parent.volunteer. Not one. Surprisingly, I was not beating the parents away with a stick so they could come hike through the woods on Satan's birthday with me. But as one of my little ones told the leader of the camp when he commented on my lack of parental supervision... "It's not a problem. She's good and she knows how to handle us." (I had to stifle a giggle.)

So, I drank over 2 liters of water in a short period, and I made sure my kids drank about as much as I did. And to give them credit, they held it together so very well... until lunch. It went rapidly downhill during and after lunch. Of course, I can't expect that much from them, since it is May 28 and we still have two freaking weeks of school left are you kidding me?

I came home and showered immediately. Then I got ready to meet KC up in her hood to go watch Kung Fu Panda while chilling on a blanket with her and her little man. I was so relieved when she texted me saying she was wearing yoga pants and a tee shirt and that I was to dress accordingly.

I've also turned back on the comments due to a suggestion from Crimmity Crim. I just turn them off when I feel like my posts are getting a little too whiny an self-absorbed. Which has happened a little more than usual. Gotta snap outta that...

6 comments:

  1. Hey Look!!!! it's me - cuz I can!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THIS!!!! I'M SOOOOOOO GLAD YOU'RE BACK!!!!!!! LOOK AT ME - I'M COMMENTING!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. comment comment comment

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting this information in this blog. The article which you have posted is highly informative.and I would be glad if you could post more article in this blog for future reference.
    brazilian wax san diego

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin