Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Moments like these

I’ve had four teenagers this weekend. Well, three and a half. Little Sister is only 11. Before you feel too sorry for me, understand that when I woke up at 9am on Monday morning, Big Sister was still sleeping and the other three were doing their homework. I’m.not.kidding.

These are the best kids in the world. Their parents worked hard to make them that way. There is a list in their pantry of 85 manners that children should learn. The list includes words to master, skills to learn (look someone in the eye and shake their hand), how to apologize, and how to get along with others.

They do not watch television on school nights. Period. Not even Big Brother, who is 17. And when they do watch television, Little Brother was watching a show on the History Channel, because he was genuinely interested in it. These parents decided early on to invest everything they have in their children, and it shows in mighty ways.

Sunday afternoon, I was in the kitchen getting a drink. Big Brother was at the table working on his physics project. Little Brother was working on his drum solo on the drumming pad also on the kitchen table. Little Sister was looking on the computer at the different red box dvd options, and Big Sister was asking if a friend could go to church with them later and then come home and watch the movie with us.

I was in heaven. I was exactly where I was supposed to be at that moment in life. Why do I babysit for all of these families? Yes, the money is helping me pay my way out of debt. But also because I get to have moments where I find myself in the middle of my calling.

I’m called to be a wife and mother. I just haven’t found the husband or had the children yet. But just because I’m single, that doesn’t mean that I’m not capable of learning about my calling and learning how to do it.

I am just glad I’m able to recognize moments like these and cherish them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin