Friday, July 02, 2010

Barbie Camp kicked my arse.

I was going to wite about Colorado tomorrow, because I had something else in mind for today's post.

Only, I forgot what that was.

So, here's Colorado. I'm lacing it with pictures for your viewing pleasure.These are all the views from our cabin.

I had a very hard time placing words on why I didn't have the best week of my life at camp.

I really did think that I would go to camp and breathe in the fresh Colorado air and be envigorated and fall in love with the whole area and want to move there and spend a few whole days in blissfull Colorado mountain-ness.

And when I dozed off on the bus (hour: seventeen) while listening to Pearl Jam's "Just Breathe" and woke up to Mraz's "Details in the Fabric" and the Winter Park scenery, I had most certainly done that. We got out and picked up one more camper and wandered around for a while. And it was beautiful. Then, we got back on to the bus and headed for the YL camp.


When we got off the bus (me sans socks), things began well. Then, the evening event. A mission impossible-type obstacle course, in which the girls are running and going through a low-ropes course up and down hills and mountains. I was surrounded by fourteen very protective girls, all athletes, and all in much better shape than me. They protected me well, but I've never felt like such a hindrance before. When the activity was done I sent the girls ahead of me because I was literally speaking with God about the possibility of Him allowing me to physically breathe again.

And it continued as such for the whole week. The altitude made walking up a flight of four steps enough to leave me winded. Much less the uphill trek before the four stairs to get to the cabin and then the upstairs trek to our room. All uphill, all upstairs, and all leaving me utterly breathless. Combined with the altitude headaches, I was miserable and kept repeating in my journal every morning just how much I wished to go home.


Now, I've finally put my finger on it.

I'm doing a study of Ruth, and last night's segment spoke of a humbling journey. Much like Ruth's journey to Israel was humbling to her, my journey to and from Colorado was humbling for me. Ruth was a foreigner in a land, and didn't know what was going to happen to her in Israel.

The whole week, I didn't know what was coming next, what I was supposed to be doing, or what I was supposed to be wearing. Despite my 64 page packing list, I packed all the wrong things. I was not able to physically do many of the things that I was asked to do. I did them, but I was not able to do them with ease.

I was humbled. I was faced with things I could not do. I had to hike a mountain, that I didn't want to hike, that I didn't think I could hike. I was one of the last people finished. I hurt.

I was humbled.

And I'm sure just like Ruth was humbled before she was blessed, I will be too.

(and I'll post more pictures as I get them uploaded and edited.)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin