Friday, August 13, 2010

Plans change.

I was going to post my 'I've come to realize' today, but as usual, life got in the way.

First of all, I was looking forward to a lovely evening spent with some very cute crusaders for whale rights. And a glass of wine. And going to bed early. And maybe putting my pajamas on at about 5:30 this evening.

Then, I get a text that asks if someone can ride with me to so-and-so's house tomorrow. To which I replied "I don't know what you're talking about."

Then LG texts me that dinner starts at 7 and to bring any games I want to play. I didn't respond, because my response would have stated "I'm not coming for dinner and I don't want to play any games."

Then I get a phone call from R filling me in on what was going on tomorrow. I told her (with a little bit of sighing) I'd have to get back to her on whether or not she could ride with me because I had other plans this weekend and wasn't sure. (I always hate to do this to her, because she's about 12, so she hasn't gotten to the point where she can understand that I'm not mad at her, I just wasn't planning on having to be anywhere in so short a time for a committed weekend...but she's got to learn sometime.)

See, we have a YL retreat every year about this time. LG asked me last week what weekend would be good for me, this one or next. I told him either, but this weekend would be better. And then I never heard another word about it. Including when I was at his house on Monday.

So, imagine my surprise when I get those texts. And the phone call. And the realization that my weekend would now be jam-packed full of activities. Activities that did not include sleeping past 7am tomorrow morning, or 6 am Sunday morning. It pains me to just type that.

But I will go, because this is something I committed to do a while back.
And I follow through on my committments.
I get extremely frustrated when others do not follow through on their committments (which will happen this weekend, I can guarantee it), but that's my issue and no one else's.

Now, it's my job to put the exhaustion behind me. And the frustration about not knowing what was going on this weekend. And the desire to be in my classroom, which is where I really need to be. Which is where I want to be.

I'm going to go try to be cheerful as I hear about a friend's engagement and try to assure another friend that I'm not mad at her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin