Tuesday, February 01, 2011

In which Mother Nature throws a hissy fit

Well, I got what I asked for this morning: a snow day.

And I was prepared. Both because of the late-night (for me) grocery run, and the fact that I put an extra blanket on my bed last night so that I was snuggled up like a burrito inside a lovely fleece tortilla all night long. And if I thought it was hard to get out of said burrito at 5:45 am when my job was calling- that’s nothing compared to how hard it is to get out of bed when there’s nothing calling me at all.

I was rather amused this morning upon finding out that school was cancelled. In the past (every other time they’ve called school), they’ve waited until the very.last.minute to call it. However, this time, I woke up three times in the middle of the night to sleet hitting my bedroom window and/or thunder, so I was fairly certain we wouldn’t be going. So they called it a little earlier than usual, probably at around 5am.

We have a phone tree, so K calls J, who calls M, who calls KC, who calls me, and in turn I call G. The difference between calling it at 5am as opposed to 6:30, when they usually call is that we were all still asleep. So instead of long discussions lamenting being already awake and going, the three people I talked to sounded about as asleep as me. It was amusing to me. Especially since I couldn’t go back to sleep. (Don’t worry, I did eventually. Like 15 minutes later.)

I woke up and immediately texted The Aunt: home or school? She was certain that they’d be at school because they weren’t getting the precip we were, but in the end they got one due to the extreme temperatures.

I’ve already had to tax all of my problem solving skills, with my cell phone battery dying and the only source of power being the car charger outside. In the car. In the freezing cold temperatures. Desperate times call for desperate measures, and it appears my Kindle charger works just as well for my phone. Me: 1/ cell phone: 0
I spent the hour on the phone with the ver1zon people and discovered my interwebs are indeed broken and they have to send someone out tomorrow morning between 8-10 to fix the problem. It appears as though I won’t have school again, so that shouldn’t be a problem.

Now I just have to figure out a way to brave the cold and head to the business center and use their interwebs to post these few little ramblings, since my dsl won’t be up and running until sometime tomorrow morning. If I’m lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin