Thursday, February 03, 2011

You must be wondering why I'm relentless and all strung out. I'm consumed by the chill of solitary.

I am using Alanis Morissette lyrics for post titles.
It's THAT BAD.

We have no school tomorrow. Again. Day Four.

I got word of that, and then immediately left the house. More like fled the house, actually. Daisy was getting a little too comfortable with this lifestyle, so I uprooted her world and took her to the doggie dentist. Now I have to go pick up my little anesthesia-laced pup and try not to sound too eager to be talking to another human being, as I did when greeting the Starbucks barista with an overzealous "HELLO! HOW ARE YOU?!"

Starbucks itself was heaven. They played good music, when I wasn't listening to my own. I got a good bit of work done, almost half of what I needed to, which was my goal. It was warm and toasty and I had a white chocolate bucket of caffeine mocha and did I mention that I was not in my apartment?

The streets are horrendous, much worse than I initially thought, so while I do understand that it was not safe for us to travel to school, I'm still stir-freaking-crazy. Like, talking-to-the-dog crazy. Word.

Taking the dog to the vet was such an experience though, from sliding across the ice-covered parking lot and coasting to a stop just before sailing into the Army/Navy recruiter building. In my suv. (I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.) We get in there, and she takes one sniff of the joint and relieves herself right in front of the door. So, I'm wearing 37.4 layers of clothes, struggling with a now-shivering dog, and asking for something to clean up her mess with. 'Twasn't pretty.

Nor was picking her up.  They said pick her up between 6:30 and 7:00, so I went through the drive-thru at CFA (left it in the car) before getting to the vets office at 6:40. When I finally left the office at 7:40-are-you-kidding-me I nibbled my icicles french fries all the way home. 

Now that I have her home under a warm blanket (perhaps after maybe texting pictures of my drunk-acting dog to The Aunt and The Sister), she's shivering violently next to me.

What's up on the agenda tonight? (After I make this list on paper, because that's what I do.)
1. Laundry. I should probably take clean clothes with me to The Wild Wild West.
2. Figure out what I'm going to do with my students to work eight days worth of work into four days. Because I'm going to be gone on Monday.
3. Send student teacher substitute teacher long, rambling lesson plan for Monday because when I left school LAST MONDAY afternoon, I didn't know I'd never see my students again be gone for four days. And have all the copies I'd need for the week except one set. That I need her to do.
4. Pack the clothes that I'm cleaning this evening. When I stop with this post. And get off the couch.
5. Straighten up the prison apartment since I've been in solitary confinement on state-mandated vacation.
6. Watch the snow that supposed to start falling tonight and hope to high heaven that they don't cancel my flight.
7. Figure out what I'm going to do when I get back from said trip to The Wild Wild West.

I should probably get on that right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin