Wednesday, January 02, 2013

The thing with feathers


If you follow me on Pinterest, you may have noticed that I went a little pin-happy one day last week, all to the same new board, and all containing the same word: HOPE.

That is my word for 2013. I've done words in the past, but not written much and not thought too much about them. Honestly, that will probably happen here as well. When I look back at those years, years of YES and MORE, I see the word quietly woven throughout them. And I imagine that will be the case for HOPE as well.

Lots of bloggers have written about their word, about their plans for it and about how it will influence them in the coming year, and while I'd love to do that, I can't.

See, while this word has undeniably chosen me, I don't know what it's going to look like. I have no preconceived notions about the word. I know the things I hope for, but that's not necessarily what this word is going to be about, and I embrace that.

What does it look like to HOPE? What will I begin to HOPE for, more than I already HOPE for?

I had vacillated on whether or not I would do a word, and if this would be it, but it came to me quite clearly. I knew I had become HOPEless when it came to myself. I can HOPE so well and strong and wonderfully for others, but not in the slightest for myself.

And then, in the small hours after midnight, as I was watching the last episode of the last season of Doctor Who (of all things), there was a monologue at the end all centered around the word HOPE.

And I knew it was mine.

I don't know if I'll write one other word about this, but for now, it is bouncing around my head and my heart. So 2013? Let's see where you go with this.

Hope is a thing with feathers
that perches in the soul
and sings the tune without the words 
and never stops at all 
 - Emily Dickinson

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin