Friday, May 11, 2007

Will you defeat them, your demons?

I went to Blockbuster tonight for the standard chick flick. I've been lagging in the ridiculous romantic comedy as of late, so I thought I'd get the new Jennifer Garner or Drew Barrymore movies, which are sure to feed right into my "want to be in love in a movie" tendencies. They were both all rented out, so I picked up Come Early Morning. This is an exceptional film. It won the Grand Jury Prize at Sundance. I just discovered it came out on DVD on my birthday. And it's no coincidence that it takes place in North Little Rock, where a lot of my demons grew their strongest and did the most damage. I may have to own it. Or just not return it to Blockbuster, and let them charge me for it.

I loved so many things about this movie. I identified with the self-destructive Lucy, with whom I share many a demon. I loved Cal, the guy of the film, (because doesn't every film have a guy?)But the thing about this film, and this guy, is that he fought for the girl. Literally and figuratively. He fought for her. He helped her fight her demons.

I have so many demons, and it gets so exhausting fighting them on my own. I know I have to. Even in the movie, she had to handle her demons on her own. I have to face them on my own, in the light of the reality of God. And I'm getting there. Really, I am. It was just such a lovely notion that he would go there with her and fight them with her. And I can't help but want someone to fight mine with me. And fight for me.

But even if no one shows up, and it's just me, I will defeat them. My demons.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:06 PM CDT

    this post makes my netflix queue happy. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin